Journalism 2 Class luis jennifer mason robert forrest casey caitlin sarah mason lia alexandra luis natalie

Sunday, January 31, 2010

America

by: Luis

Intro:

I have been wondering to myself; what does it mean to be an American, what is it that makes people want to become one, and why are they resented worldwide?

I have been given the opportunity to explore these questions in depth. I have always wondered what people think about the American dream and the meaning of America, and also what people are willing to do to become Americans.

Before I can continue with my research, I must first stop and think and define in my own mind what America is to me.

America is the land of opportunity; the "land of the free:"

To me, America truly is the land of opportunity. I was not born here, and my family, like many others, had to make the journey here from my home country. We came here looking to build a future. I have lived in the United States for 15 years now, and have become a part of this society. My love for this nation has made it my new home, and I feel indebted to this country for the opportunities that have been presented to me. I say "presented" and not "given," because this nation is the land of opportunity where a man has the opportunity to fight for his future.
:
Some people have the misconception that in America opportunities are just handed over to people, which is not the case. I have had to fight for everything that I have accomplished up til now. I have had to make an effort to stand out. I give thanks to this nation for those chances that I have been given. I look at what I could have been if I were to have stayed in my country and realize that I would have been a different man. This nation is a place where a person of my simple upbringings can fight for a place in society of equality and freedom; where a person like me can work hard to someday become someone. My parents brought me here in hopes of fulfilling that dream, and their hard work and sacrifice are what pushes me forward.

In my home country it is hard to overcome obstacles. Though we have free university, the drive to study is not really pushed on to the young people. It is a different culture. Corruption in the government (and society in general) holds generations of people down; not allowing them to grow or succeed. My parents saw this threat and brought me here to this nation; where with hard work, I have come to the place I am today.

No comments:

Post a Comment