Journalism 2 Class luis jennifer mason robert forrest casey caitlin sarah mason lia alexandra luis natalie

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Starbucks

Even though Starbucks is a global corporation, I feel like it is distinctly "American."

It started in Seattle in the 1970s, but who knew espresso would become a morning necessity? Before the drive though coffee window and the 30 second latte, there was percolator coffee and instant coffee granules. Sorry, but I am not going to drink anything called "granules."

I say it is distinctly American because where else in the world can you find people willing to spend nearly $4 on a cup of coffee every single morning? Europe maybe. But even there they are drinking 5.5 ounce cappuccinos that maybe cost $1.50. And to them it's not this do or die situation. They sit and relax while they drink their cappuccino. In America we can hardly get out of bed without our coffee cup in hand.

I've worked in the coffee industry for over 2 years. I've seen the earliest of mornings and the latest of nights. It is amusing to me the different kinds of coffee people. There's your 5:30 a.m. "I just got finished at the gym and now I'm powerwalking before taking my kids to school" housewife who always comes adorned in her black spandex pants, long sleeved shirt, and hat. There's the 7:30 a.m. crowd who is on their way to work but already looks inconvenienced before they get there. There's the 9 a.m. leisurely crowd who has nothing better to do but come sit in a coffee shop and read all day.

These things are funny to me because it seems like American's lives revolve around the morning cup of coffee. Like our days cannot get started and cannot possibly be productive without it.

Starbucks took this concept and expanded it to all corners of the earth. Starbucks is a landmark in America. But I think people like it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment