Journalism 2 Class luis jennifer mason robert forrest casey caitlin sarah mason lia alexandra luis natalie

Monday, April 12, 2010

What does it look like to be an American?

Pop culture plays a vital role in the shaping of the perspective of American culture.


In my interactions with the Mexican culture, living among a Mexican family and spending my days with the local people, I had the opportunity to see the perspective of American culture away from my own biased view.


From there, I found that most local perspectives were quite similar. Most people considered American young adults to be scandalous and indecent. It was a clearly established expectation.


The most fascinating part of this perspective was once I questioned why this view existed to the family I was staying with. They informed me that most media, including international news, celebrity gossip, Americans personified in movies and television shows, etc.


Is the American culture in our media a good representation? Has the definition of what it means to be an American really settled to the latest episode of The Bachelor?

No comments:

Post a Comment