Journalism 2 Class luis jennifer mason robert forrest casey caitlin sarah mason lia alexandra luis natalie

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Collect $200 as You Pass Go

They say that everything is bigger in America...including the price tags.

I don't know exactly who "they" are but usually this phrase is meant for the portions of food, the size of the people or the extravagance of our homes, wardrobes, cars, etc.

Many people come to America with their personalized version of the "American Dream" in mind. The stereotypical "Dream" involves a spouse, two children, maybe a dog or cat, a home with a picket fence and a car. However all of this caters around the idea of being successful, and therefore, by being able to maintain a job or career.

It is pricy to live in America. Think about the "Dream" in terms of finances. It will cost money for two people to get married--the wedding, the honeymoon, the car insurance, the health insurance, the food, the clothes, the necessities, etc. Next, consider being able to afford two children--clothes, food, diapers, doctors bills, etc., then add in house payments--including monthly payments plus any upkeep charges that may accrue; the car--car payments, repairs, insurance; the pets--hospital bills/shots, food, upkeep, etc.

It is expensive to live in America.

I am absolutely NOT saying do not follow your version of the American Dream. I can't wait to get married (54 days!) and have my own home and family. All these things are dreams of mine coming true.

But what I am saying is that Americans love money. We love it so much that we even spend more than we have. According to the U.S. National Debt Clock (http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/) America is in debt $12,588,333,731,873.82 as of March 14, 2010 at 3:23:19 GMT.

Whoa.

I get stressed out thinking about how I am going to pay off my school loans! I am glad I am not in a position of figuring out how America is going to come up with over $12 trillion dollars. Eek!

I guess that just means, be conscious next time you want the third cup of coffee or that really nice pair of shoes.

Because you know what they say, money doesn't grow on trees...

No comments:

Post a Comment