Journalism 2 Class luis jennifer mason robert forrest casey caitlin sarah mason lia alexandra luis natalie

Monday, March 15, 2010

The question of the hour:

How will we turn out as the first generation of Americans to grow up with the Internet?
As I type this in Microsoft word, spell check informs me that “internet” should be capitalized. It is now a proper noun. I don’t know how I feel about this.

As I type, two friends are playing Call of Duty on Xbox live. Another is text messaging on his iPhone with an open Macbook on his lap. Now it is his turn to play Call of Duty. He currently has ear buds in, his iPhone by his side, an open Macbook and an Xbox controller. All devices are utilizing a digital network of interconnectivity.

I’m not saying this with any amount of disdain, just slight concern. I often find myself turning to the internet for various reasons out of habit. I check my email as often as a member of an older generation would light a cigarette. It has become natural to take a short break from whatever obligation to attend to the digital world, whether it is twitter, facebook or google reader.

Our methods of accessing and processing information have been changed forever. I recently bought Sherwood Anderson’s Winesberg, Ohio off barnesandnoble.com for four dollars in e-book form. Literally hundreds of years of information are at the fingertips of any internet user, to be used at their discretion, as well as several lifetimes of irreverent entertainment.

I’ll look at the clock after long session on internet and know my time spent has gone somewhere. Towards youtube, stumbleupon, any number of blogs. If anything, this generation will distinguish if the time spent was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment