Journalism 2 Class luis jennifer mason robert forrest casey caitlin sarah mason lia alexandra luis natalie

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

America Bashing... Not So Happy

When I remembered that I had to blog I asked all my friends what it means to be an American, and they immediately spurted out all these negative answers! I was a little mad, because regardless of whether what they said was true or not we have too many blessings in America to immediately start complaining. This country isn't perfect, I'm not saying that. We have our fair share of issues, but we also have a lot of things to be grateful for and how can we get so caught up on the bad things that we forget to see all the great things around us. 

I've noticed that lately its been "cool" to bash the states. I can't think of a more lame thing to do. Its fine to have productive discussions about why and how American needs help, but just straight tearing up your own country is lame, especially when you're sitting pretty in the USA. Let's be honest, most people in America have houses and cars, making them richer than a significant percentage of the rest of the world! Really? Really you can't find ONE thing to be grateful for? The first thing you think of is something you think you're lacking?

I'm not saying we should pretend like America has no problems. I am saying you need to recognize your blessing before you start listing the things that bother you.

No comments:

Post a Comment