Journalism 2 Class luis jennifer mason robert forrest casey caitlin sarah mason lia alexandra luis natalie

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Do we NEED it? or WANT it?

by: Jenny

There are many things I love in life. I love God. I love country music, stepping on pine cones and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. I have a fiancé who I love very much, and the best friends and family a girl could ask for.

I love that I am free. I love that in America, we are free. I love the privileges that we have here and the ability to be or become whoever we would like. I love the opportunities of America.

Sadly, I think a lot of people (myself included) can take these freedoms and privileges for granted. Maybe not all the time, but at least occasionally.

One example is our (Americans) use of media.

First, can you imagine this? Ask yourself, "How many times have I checked my cell phone, email, Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, or Myspace today? This week? This month?"

Now imagine living life without those forms of media, like in some countries.

As whole, America revolves around media and Americans seemingly, are obsessed with media consumption.

But that isn't the only thing some Americans take for granted.

What about clean water or water at all?
What about food?
What about clothes?
A roof over our heads?
A bike?
A car?
A new wardrobe?
Shoes?

There are so many people in the world that do not have any of these things.

As an RA I had to spend a week backpacking in Sisters, Oregon. With no cell phone. No Internet. No TV. No bathroom. Over the week, I learned to really appreciate these things.

Especially indoor plumbing.

We are so blessed in America to have so much, but this is something so many people seem to take for granted. What if we were a country with barely any clean water? What if we were in a country that we were only able to live off a dollar a day? Could we do this? Could we give up these luxuries? Could we possibly imagine passing up the daily coffee or not buying those jeans that you already have three pairs of?

I challenge you, Americans, to think of this next time you are at the store. Next time you see something that you absolutely "CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT!" Because honestly, you can.

Give to others.
Serve others.
We have the power and the resources to do so.

It just takes one to cause a change that has the power to affect millions worldwide.

Use the freedoms and privileges guaranteed to us through the Bill of Rights and Declaration of Independence.

Stand up for what you believe in.
Stand up for things you deem as unfair or unjust.
Stand up and speak for those without a voice.

America, we have so much--sometimes too much. It is time to give a little back both domestically and internationally.

No comments:

Post a Comment