Journalism 2 Class luis jennifer mason robert forrest casey caitlin sarah mason lia alexandra luis natalie

Monday, February 8, 2010

Don't forget about kids

Because of financial responsibilities and necessity, mom's work outside of the home and dad's work long hours. That may not be the case for some, but for many kids growing up they come home to an empty house. Some have two homes because their parents are separated or divorced. I am part of that as well, having gone through a divorce and trying to maintain a strong relationship with my kids.

I grew up confused because my parents weren't together anymore. I watched my own children go through this same struggle. From my own experiences, I relate to their feelings and recognize what they are going through. Considering what we have gone through, I don't think I could build a stronger relationship with them. They are my best friends, each of them. In their own way, I am touched and blessed to be surrounded by such a good group. I am thankful for them.

My story is all too familiar with how we relate to America. I came from a broken home and repeated the cycle with my own children. It was and is at times heartbreaking. Saying goodbye or not seeing them for a few days. I have already made them lose a part of their childhood, forcing them to think and react to adult problems. I am sad for that, it hurts when I think about it. If I could do anything to help them, it would be to show them and guide them from my own mistakes.

I look at the younger generation of kids growing up and see too many of them growing up too soon. Kids deserve to be kids, to grow up naturally by experimenting, playing and making friends through sports and other activities. If I had the magical answer, I would share it. But I don't, so instead I am asking; how do we let kids grow up in freedom? How can we ensure each child gets the opportunity to grow up and live a happy childhood?

I know for me and my kids, it starts with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment