Journalism 2 Class luis jennifer mason robert forrest casey caitlin sarah mason lia alexandra luis natalie

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

America is made up of immigrants.

by Natalie Gould

The United States is made up of immigrants. No one is through and through American, unless of course that person is Native American. We all come from different countries and backgrounds. But that is what makes us American: we represent a variety of cultures. I spent time talking with Roman Kolyvanov, a George Fox student who came to the United States when he was 5. And though he doesn't remember much of his homeland, Russia, he certainly has a unique perspective on America and what it means to call oneself an American. He has learned how to balance his Russian family with his American assimilation.

My family is from Germany, and while I never lived in Germany, I was raised very German. We ate German food, I was disciplined in German, my grandmother told me proverbs in German, I learned how to cook German, we shopped at the German grocery store, and the list goes on. Just because I didn't live in Germany doesn't mean I don't have a sense of what it means to be German. When I travel to Germany it feels like I am surrounded by people similar to me. But at the same time, I am an American because I bring my unique experiences to my peer group. I say the pledge of allegiance with pride and tear up hearing our national anthem.

With Roman and I, we know we are loyal to America and our families love this land so dearly. But we do not forget our roots and we embrace our unique upbringings. We can discuss our cultures and find differences and similarities. These are the sorts of discussions everyone should be having. Be proud of immigrants in your family and recognize the courage it took to leave their homeland and bring you to the land of freedom and opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment